Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Turn The Page ... Tuesday


My book for this month was actually read while I was at the beach before my timbers were kindled and I became obsessed with The Girl  books. If you've been reading this blog for anytime you will know that I am an Anita Shreve fan ~ Body Surfing is certainly an interesting try to figure it out but are completely surprised by the end kinda book. I like those.

Sydney, the main character has been married twice; divorced once and widowed once. She falls into a family full of both strife and love as a tutor to the youngest child. The story picks up when the two older children, boys - men actually - return home for a visit. Old rivalries are reignited and Sydney is in somewhat of a rip tide ... pulling her out to sea slowly.

Like many of Shreve's books, this one is centered around the beautiful New Hampshire coast. The ocean is as much of a character as the the people. Body surfing is woven into the lives of the main players - some fear the water, others respect it, and some wish to use it to get revenge.

I found this book interesting and different. I enjoyed it and the fact that I read it at the beach was intentional. I didn't want to read about the ocean without being there myself!

If you are a Shreve fan - pick this up. If you've never read her before - you won't be disappointed.

Don't forget to add your link below! Let us know where your nose has been ;-)




5 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Yet another book to add to me growing list. But anything that takes place on the coast works for me. Love that setting. I think the only Shreve book I read was "The Pilot's Wife."

Paula said...

I've still not read any of her books and sure need to pick one up. Sounds like the perfect beach read.

Paige said...

I haven't read anything by Ms. Shreve yet; I'll have to change that and start with this one or The Pilot's Wife.

Unknown said...

This sounds like a good book & the perfect place to read it (at the beach)
I posted my TTPT

Debi said...

I really like Anita Shreve's books. Haven't read this one so on the reading list it goes!