A mischievous gnome messenger bag to be exact.
You've seen this fabric before (semi-simple pillows). I'm really trying to dig into my stash before I purchase more fabric. I have a fair amount of the brown duck cloth and it matched my psychedelic fabric perfectly.
The only thing I had to buy for this was a zipper and more thread. I had everything else. I love that. And speaking of zippers ...
I'd be totally lying if I didn't say that I was beyond stoked that I pulled off this zipper - it's lined and it's inside the bag! You know what? I was surprised how easy it was to do. The directions were so simple that even I could figure it out ;-) I will admit that my hands were a little clammy when I had to cut the slit for the zipper - I knew if I messed up I would have ruined the fabric. Thankfully I got it right on the first try!
The pattern also calls for ribbon to tie the bag shut. I didn't have any that matched in my stash so I decided to make my own along with my own button too.
Again going back to the pillows I made for the Bend The Rules Swap, I loved how the embroidery turned out so I did a bit for me this time ~
I've decided I don't like the button on there. It just looks wonky to me. If it could lay flat I think I'd like it better. It is supposed to be off center but it just isn't working for me.
I really liked this pattern - I would highly recommend it. This bag is very roomy. I've already hauled my share of books to read to Henry's class and enough match box cars to keep any child within a 3 mile radius of us busy.
Oh! And the message ... I can't get through a sewing project with out using my seam ripper at least once ... even if it's at the end to rib off a button!