Friday, April 24, 2009

Mr. Roboto ... Squared

You're wondering who I am ...


Machine or mannequin ...


With parts made in Japan ...


(Fabric a Japanese import by Kokka)

I am the modern man ...


Now that I've got you singing Mr. Roboto (you can thank me later); I'll give you the hat details. I let the boys pick out fabric from my stash and both wanted the robots. We then headed over to JoAnn's so they could pick out fabric that matched. The robots are a linen/cotton blend so we picked out linen for the lining. Henry did not want a bucket hat so I had to do some searching for a flap hat pattern (here).


I bought the pattern for the bucket hat here and for sake of time opted not to do the patchwork side. I have to say their instructions were excellent and despite making a few mistakes (my own fault) I will definitely make this again. The hat fits well and he hasn't taken it off regardless of whether we are in or out!


Henry's hat is a different story. He is fairly happy with it despite it being a bit big. I don't want to criticize someones free tutorial ~ I am just a little disappointed with how the hat turned out (which I'm sure has a great deal to do with my construction). The directions were clear and easy to follow but the sizing seems to be off. It's really loose on Henry, the flaps don't cover his ears, and well it just doesn't seem to sit right. I was also lazy and didn't want to hand stitch the opening close so I tried to fudge it and machine stitch it. It is not noticeable on the exterior but a huge eye sore on the lining. Only time will tell if this will actually get worn on a regular basis.




Both hats worked up fairly quickly and I was happy to have made something for my boys ... like within a few days time of when I said I'd make it! By the way ... how do you like my 'other' model - my lamp without a shade. Nothing but class around here!


My Mr. Roboto's seem to be content and that's all this mama wants ~ little did Styx know they were giving me blog fodder ... they should have said 'I am the modern woman' if you ask me.

7 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I like both of the hats. The fabric rocks!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

and look at that tut...I don't think the flap is supposed to cover the ears. I think it is more for the back of the neck, to keep the sun off. I might be wrong but my son used to have a hat and that was how it looked.

Michelle said...

What a great idea! Those turned out really cute, I'll have to add hats to my list of projects.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love those! Nice job.

Paige said...

Love that little bucket hat! And he looks so happy and darn cute in it!

periwinkle said...

I think the flap is for the neck too, well done you - don't think I could make a hat if I tried..
lisa x

UK lass in US said...

The hats look great. And I'm impressed that other people do make their kids things within a couple of days of saying they'll make it. I've been promising my daughter just a simple headband for months now, poor lass.