Thursday, October 2, 2008

Loving Frank

Ok. We all know I love my DH. I'm talking about the book Loving Frank. ;-) And what a great book it is. It's got a little bit of everything ... love, drama, tragedy, and lots of controversy. I'd be lying if at times I wasn't a little ... put off shall we say, by the whole 'thing'. Let me clarify. The book is based on an affair that Frank Lloyd Wright had and it is written from his mistresses perspective. It is based on as much fact that could be gathered (given it was the turn of the century and utterly scandalous ... which really is a shame to say that an affair in our current day is not but I digress.) I found myself getting angry, upset, and concerned like she was a friend - "how could you be so stupid!" would come flying out of my mouth. (yes, I am one of those laugh out loud at the TV or while reading a book if it strikes my fancy kinda gals) This book was well worth the read ~ you get to travel back in time and have a glimpse of how things were while peering into the mind of a genius.

I'm sure I've mentioned that I'm an antique lover-conservative-likes things simple-person. Aside from the relationship between Frank and Mamah (the main story line), Frank's design philosophy is explored. It's fascinating to me. He wanted his architecture to blend in with nature - not compete with it. Upon finishing the book I was dying to Google the house that he built for he and Mamah, Taliesin ... I had to wait until we got the dinosaur up and running though. It was well worth the wait. So not my style but absolutely amazing. It was sort of like reading a book and seeing the movie ~ but the movie was good.


If you can do it - hold off. Read the book first then go look at all the pictures of Taliesin. It's the icing on the cake.

1 comment:

The Stitching Surgeon said...

ooo, i so want to read the book but don't think it will make it to my long list any time soon so my curiosity is probably going to get the best of me and i will probably be googling that home before the end of this call shift tonight :)