Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Turn The Page ... Tuesday

From The Shelf TBR


 
I nabbed Fahrenheit 451 at a Big Read event many years ago. I actually loaned it out to my cousin before I even read it. She returned it in a timely fashion but up on the shelf it went. I finally pulled it down (when I realized that there was a movie) and read it (before I watched the movie). It's hard to believe that it was published in 1953; granted it was billed as a sci-fi- resist-the-power-book but here we are in 2013 and we are not too far off from what was "futuristic" in this novel. I was dismayed but also pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the book. I would definitely suggest you add it to your "classics" to-read list.

From Amazon:

"Internationally acclaimed with more than 5 million copies in print, Fahrenheit 451 is Ray Bradbury's classic novel of censorship and defiance, as resonant today as it was when it was first published nearly 50 years ago. Guy Montag was a fireman whose job it was to start fires... The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning ... along with the houses in which they were hidden. Guy Montag enjoyed his job. He had been a fireman for ten years, and he had never questioned the pleasure of the midnight runs nor the joy of watching pages consumed by flames... never questioned anything until he met a seventeen-year-old girl who told him of a past when people were not afraid. Then he met a professor who told him of a future in which people could think... and Guy Montag suddenly realized what he had to do!"
 
On The Kindle TBR

 
Another book from Fitzgerald's Flappers and Philosophers book that has been languishing on my kindle. The Ice Palace did not disappoint. It was a short but delightful read. A one sitting read. Just up my alley these days since school has started back (I thought I was supposed to have ~more~ time - ha!). A sweet southern belle meets a yankee and decided that she wants to get out of town - how better than to marry someone to take you away. The story is based on a premarital visit with the future in-laws up north where it is cold, gloomy, and lacking southern charm. I was tickled by the main characters description of the 'brutal' weather and lack of a warm reception. I am a Virginian after all - a southerner at heart despite the fact that my parents were born and bread in NY (along with all previous generations up to the boat they arrived on). I could relate. Now, before I get any negative comments regarding North vs South - let me be clear - I love NY. The south is just ... different. Read The Ice Palace , you'll see.
 
From Amazon:
 
"The Ice Palace is a story of cultural conflict between Sally - a Southern woman and her Northern lover. Sally decides to change the slow routine of the South and join the North by engaging to Harry Bellamy. Will she be able to adapt?

Join F. Scott Fitzgerald as he examines the social and cultural differences between the South and the North throughout this story - The Ice Palace"
 
 
Book VS Movie
 
 
 
Oh goodness. How I wanted this movie to follow the book closely. I had read several reviews of Fahrenheit 451 and almost didn't watch it because so much was cut. So much that I couldn't imagine how the story could even be told without several of what I considered to be main-sub characters eliminated. I did end up being disappointed in that regard. Too much was hacked so that I felt for the most part (aside from the general theme of censorship and book burning) it was not what I had read. A few key scenes from the book were included but again - it was anticlimactic. They even changed the main characters wife's name! Now, with that said I would actually recommend the movie for different reasons. The main character's wife sits in front of a TV all day and night. It was funny to see this 1966 version of a "wall tv" - it looked just like what we have in our living room now. And the tv in her bedroom - looked similar to an iPad. Funny how we've evolved.
 
 
Bonus Books


 
 Ahhh. The last of my Sarah Agnes Prine books. I was sad to say goodbye to her. What can I say? The saga continued. The Star Garden did not disappoint. If you haven't already added this series to your must read - do.it.now.  Nuff said.
 
From Amazon:
 
"
In this stunning sequel to the tale begun in These Is My Words and continued in the beloved Sarah's Quilt, pioneer woman Sarah Agnes Prine is nearing bankruptcy. After surviving drought and the rustling of her cattle in winter 1906, Sarah is shocked when her son brings home a bride who was slated to become a nun. Meanwhile, neighbor Udell Hanna is pressing for Sarah to marry him. Then a stagecoach accident puts Sarah in the path of three strangers, who will forever change her life...."

 
 
If you've been hanging around here long enough you know I have enjoyed a few Susanna Kearsley books. The Rose Garden goes down as yet another. I love the setting. I love the characters. I love how she weaves the past, present, and future together . Once again, I did not see the ending. That makes me happy. I think I have it figured out and then - bam - I have no clue. I just loved this book. Don't walk - run to your library, computer, where ever and get this book.
From Amazon:
"Eva Ward returns to the only place she truly belongs, the old house on the Cornish coast, seeking happiness in memories of childhood summers. There she finds mysterious voices and hidden pathways that sweep her not only into the past, but also into the arms of a man who is not of her time.

But Eva must confront her own ghosts, as well as those of long ago. As she begins to question her place in the present, she comes to realize that she too must decide where she really belongs.

From Susanna Kearsley, author of the New York Times bestseller The Winter Sea and a voice acclaimed by fans of Gabaldon, du Maurier, and Niffenegger alike, The Rose Garden is a haunting exploration of love, family, the true meaning of home, and the ties that bind us together."


 I am really starting to develop a complex regarding my link ups. I really think there is a conspiracy out there to get me. Now I cannot get Inlinkz to work. This is just making me fume. ok. deeeeeep breath. So much more to be worried about than a link. Just leave your link in the comments and I'll get you in the post. My apologies (again.).






1 comment:

Sara said...

You always do this me! Now I have to add several more books to my want to read list!!!