Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Turn The Page ... Tuesday

"Here's why I would be a good person. Because I listen. I cannot speak, so I listen very well. I never interrupt, I never deflect the course of the conversation with a comment of my own. People, if you pay attention them, change the direction of one another's conversations constantly. It's like having a passenger in your car who suddenly grabs the steering wheel and turns you down a side street."

And so it goes - intellectual insights from a dog named Enzo. I'd say he is pretty on target. Well, at least the author of the book The Art Of Racing In The Rain made him so. The entire book is written from Enzo's perspective which is quite humorous and had me looking at my cat quite differently. I know you all have heard the cliche "a dog is a mans best friend" - well this book thoughtfully and lovingly gives us the best friends perspective. Jealousy when a 'competitor' for affection enters his masters world, fierce protection when a 'pup' joins their family, tenderness when there is affliction, and loyalty when there is sorrow. It is also a story of life and death, of living in the moment and accepting the inevitable for both man and four legged furry friend.

I'm so glad I pulled this book off my shelf. If you are an animal lover you will certainly appreciate the different perspective ... and I guarantee when you look at your pet you will certainly wonder what they are thinking!


I had to laugh when I looked this book up on Amazon to find a picture of the cover and to link to it. Two stars. That's all the accolades it received. Know why I laughed? I liked The Phantom of Manhattan. I had been hesitant to pull this off my bookshelf because it did appear a bit cheesy. I thought it was going to be some cheap dime store type.Well, if you read the reviews, some certainly thought so. I however, having no loyalties (unlike some of the Amazon reviewers) to The Phantom of the Opera, enjoyed the 'what happened to Erik' the phantom. Just goes to show you can't always judge a book by it's cover.

Now I should clarify - this is no deep read. Surprise! You already knew that though didn't you. The story begins with with Madame Giry on her death bed soliciting a lawyer to deliver a letter and a large sum of money to Erik in the United States (she is in Paris) and she has no address. The adventure is on. There are quite a few colorful characters - a young-know-it-all-NYC-tabloid reporter, a soulless-idol worshiper, a jolly Irish priest, a rosy cheeked just-like-his-father boy, Christine-the-pined-after-beauty, and of course, Erik - still the masked man but now a multimillionaire.

If you are not offended by spin offs and can stand to read a book that only received two stars on Amazon (don't let anyone see you - I won't tell) ... I think you might enjoy this book too.  Dime store isn't always a bad thing ;-0

So tell me, what have you pulled off your shelf?

8 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

That dog book sounds adorable. I know there's more going on behind my dog's soft brown eyes that she cares to share.

And we're big-time phantom fans here. We saw the musical a few years ago. Love it so much. I've heard this sequel is playing in London. I should check out the book to find out all that happens to those characters.

Jill said...

I suspect that Enzo sounds a lot like my "kids"... my hubby and I put words to their expressions all the time... we can't help it. I'm thinking this might be a fun book to read someday.

Paige said...

I bet I'd love that book - my son often "speaks" for our dog Flossie by reading her funny expressions and explaining her myriad behaviors, be they sweet or completely befuddling.

Paula said...

Interesting to read your review of "Racing in the Rain". I have a couple of friends who read it and neither liked it, so I haven't picked it up. May just have to change my mind.

"The Phantom" book sounds like a fun read. I love a good cheesy mystery now and then and don't give a hoot what how many stars it got, just as long as it's fun.

Anonymous said...

I finally did it!!

Ruth said...

I have been crazy with appointments and snow shoveling today. I am hoping to get a post up soon.

I love the Phantom of the Opera.

The dog book looks like a fun read.

Ruth

Sara said...

Wow--an eclectic selection today! Good for you for expanding your mind with a variety of books.

Unknown said...

Both of these books sound like ones I would enjoy.
It's nice to read something light just for entertainment once in awhile.