Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Soups On

Only a day late for Jodi's Soup Bowl.

This is one of my favorite soups because it is healthy and filling AND great for leftovers/freezing.

Bean Hominy Soup

3 (16 oz) cans Great Northern beans
1 (11oz) can whole-kernel yellow corn, drained
1 (16 oz) can hominy 2 cups water
1 (14 oz) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon dried cilantro
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1 (11 oz) can bean with bacon soup

Combine the undrained bean, undrained hominy, stewed tomatoes and tomatoes with green chiles in a Dutch oven. Add the soup, corn and water mix well.

Stir in the bay leaves, cilantro, and cumin.

Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Remove and discard the bay leaves. Ladle the soup into warm soup bowls.
Sprinkle each serving with some of the cheddar cheese.
Serves 12
Pop on over here for some great warm you up soup recipes. Thanks for hosting Jodi!

Soups on!

4 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I'm glad you could join in -- even if you're a day late! Those boys must be keeping you hopping. I'm a northerner -- and believe it or not, I've never tried hominy. I'm wondering if they even sell it up here. I may have to visit for a sample!

Paula said...

I so love homemade soup this time of the year and bean soup is one of our favorites. Will have to give yours a try one of these days soon!

Unknown said...

This sounds good. I've been in a soup mood latly.

Nicole Gamble said...

Great recipe ! I just made it! It`s delicious!!! Thanks for sharing!