Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Turn The Page ... Tuesday


I received this lovely package from Helen on Christmas Eve. She was my secret Santa for the Persephone Book Swap hosted by Claire.

What you can barely see is the awesome bookmark (which is also printed on the inside covers):


Endpaper: 'Flower vase lit by rays from a table lamp', Vanessa Bell 1934, Allan Walton, V & A


I plowed through my second (but not my last Persephone) book over the holidays. Every waking moment that was not spent cooking, changing sheets, or just being merry was spent with my nose in that beauty of a gray book above.

I loved Miss Buncle's Book. It was a hoot. It has now been added to my list of favorites and I think if you read it you would be captivated too. The storyline is so original (which is very refreshing) - Miss Buncle is in her late 30's? and is unmarried. Money has gotten tighter and tighter and she decides to write a book to try and supplement her income. Miss Buncle says herself that she is not imaginative nor creative - she writes of what (and whom) she knows. Things pick up in her little cozy village once John Smith's book (Miss Buncle's pseudo name) is published and it becomes very clear that the characters are all too real - 'down to the mole on her left cheek with hairs in it' (not an exact quote). What is really humorous is how those who recognize themselves react: 'I do not wear a wig. I just have good hair.', 'She really is attractive ... why have I not ever noticed her before', 'Why was I only mentioned once.' (again just paraphrasing).

As you read on, the book just gets better and better. Miss Buncle's Book certainly got me thinking about how I am perceived and if someone was a fly on the wall what would they observe. I'm afraid to say it's not all sugar and sweet! I better clean up my act - Miss Buncle could be watching ;-)

And if Mister Linky here isn't going to provide you with enough books to start you reading in the new year, make sure you check out Claire's post here that has all the participants in the swap. Oh, and get your pen and paper ready - you are going to find some new blogs that you love ... many of them just review books - lots of them. I know!!! How fabulous ;-P

Now, I'm sure you are just like me - a shelf (or two or three) full of books; some of which I don't even remember acquiring. Won't give them away because what if they are good ... but for some unexplained reason, you are not reading them either ... just buying or borrowing more. So. What to do? Don't worry - no resolutions here; just a bit of fun ...

2011 Turn the page ... Tuesday Challenge:


For each TTPT read one book that is on your shelf. It's ok if you don't finish it - I am pretty confident that I will pull a few down and find that I'm just not into it. No worries - I'll just let you know so in case you are so inclined to read it (like maybe it's been gathering dust on your shelve(s) too) and give you the ok not to read it (I hope you return the favor!). Liberating I think. Of course there's the ugly side to this. You will inevitably add more books to your shelves/list ... I know, I know. It's hard being a book lover but some body's got to do it.

And speaking of great books ...

11 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

These books really do sound lovely. And funny....I had to pull my books from my stash this past month because I didn't have a chance to get to the library. Too busy.

Jill said...

I went right to Amazon to find Miss Buncle's Book! I would love to read this... and I think my book club would, too.

Thank you, too, for the 'okay' to not finish a book... I am very bad at that and my stubbornness made for some bad reading experiences for me last year. 2011 will be different!

Thanks, too, for hosting TTP...T! We appreciate it!

Paula said...

These books sound so charming and fun! I'm going to have to find one~

I have a HUGE stash of books and actually even have a couple of shelves dedicated to my unread books. I try to always read from these shelves but you can only imagine how often I add to them also!

The WoodLand School said...

Oooooh - I *love* Persephone books! Even though I have a Kindle now (gasp!) I just can't stop buying the Persephone ones. My favorite so far was Good Evening, Mrs. Craven ... but it sounds like Mrs. Buncle will provide stiff competition.

Sara said...

I am intrigued! Will have to check out these much-touted Persephone books. But there is so much I want to read this new year, I don't know where to start--what a dilemma!

Helen said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book, Adrienne. I need to buy a copy for myself now! It sounds wonderful.

Debi said...

Oh you have peaked my interest. I've never heard of these books but they sound like delightful reads and fun!

PS-Thanks, Adrienne for adding my name... I totally forgot!

Unknown said...

Miss Buncle's sounds like a fun book! I like to read ones with diferant story lines.
(So many books, so little time)

Ruth said...

Things have been so busy and I am so disappointed that I have not been able to participate. I am hoping things settle down here and I can soon join in the fun.

I have not ready any of these books but am anxious to find them. I will have to check our local library.

Ruth

Paige said...

Oh, I've got some books on my shelf(s) to read for sure - I'm all in for next month! Now if I can just stop browsing around at the library...

Courtney @ splashing grace said...

Miss Buncle is on my list at the library now. My book basket is overflowing!